Welcome!

Welcome to the next adventure in my life. Read on about my journey beyond engineering.







Wednesday, March 2, 2011

shaggy

i need a haircut.
i REALLY need a haircut.
but i'm waiting to have this darn interview first.  and if it doesn't happen soon, i fear i will become rapunzel.

slight exaggeration, i know.  if you know me, you know i like my hair short.  really short.  as short as possible without giving my mother a heart attack, and then maybe a quarter inch shorter than that for good measure.  i've always wanted to shave my head once, just to do it.  not that i think it would look particularly good, but i just want to try it.  anyhow, i like my hair spikey on top and up over the ears and short enough in back to feel the fuzz at the bottom.  i just think it looks cool, it doesn't bug me that way, and it allows me to be lazy for as long as possible about getting it cut again.  it's hard to believe that in high school my mother and i would argue over my bangs being so long that they hung in my eyes.

anyhow, it's reasonable to expect that in many places (if not most/all) where i could be sent, there will be somewhat traditional gender roles.  this may very well include women wearing their hair long.  i know, i know:  almost enough to make me turn tail and run.  can you imagine me with a ponytail?  don't even get me started on the other possibilities.  so i figure that, for this interview, i should at least not look like i fell under a lawn mower.  Pech for me.  (Pech is a german word for bad luck, so unfortunate, sucks-to-be-you.)

i exchanged a couple emails with the local and local-ish recruiters a while back.  i finally wrote to ask what was up, since i had submitted everything and was supposed to hear back from them within two weeks, which had since passed.  turns out they had sent me an email that bounced back.  i was instructed to send in my fingerprint and agency check forms (security clearance, as far as i can tell) to the chicago recruiting office and was told that i'd be contacted by the university of michigan recruiters for an interview after those were received.  those were officially received a week ago, and now i'm just sitting here, twirling my ever-longer hair, waiting to hear about an interview.

maybe i can do some extra good and donate to locks of love by the time this interview happens.  another exaggeration.  but still.  there's an awkward war going on between the back of my hair and the top of my turtlenecks.  i can't have this kind of discontent in my wardrobe.  it's sketchy enough as it is.

shaggily yours, baby rapunzel

1 comment:

  1. haha. good post.

    i'll shave your head sometime if you want, btw. i have a nice set of clippers. the ones the coast guard girls use. :)

    ReplyDelete