Welcome!

Welcome to the next adventure in my life. Read on about my journey beyond engineering.







Sunday, January 16, 2011

motivation

it's official:  i have now completed and submitted my application to the peace corps!

here is what i submitted as my "motivation statement" essay --

A few years ago, I saw an exhibit called “Design For the Other 90%.”  The exhibit featured simple and sustainable design solutions for issues faced by people in less-developed countries.  For years I have wanted to be involved in creating innovative design solutions.  For years I’ve wanted to do something more meaningful with my work.  For years, I have wanted to do more.  This exhibit defined my dream job.  After more than 20 years as an engineer in the automotive industry, I want to do things that make a bigger difference in the world.  Working to make safe products that are more affordable and sustainable is good, but not enough.  I want to contribute in a more meaningful way, in a situation where my efforts can have a more significant and direct impact and perhaps even change lives.  As I’ve considered how I’d like to pursue a second career, I have considered finding a creative, contributing design job, becoming a teacher (I am nearly certified), or entering into non-profit management.  My experience and interests are well-suited for any of these pursuits and dovetail perfectly with the goals and activities of the Peace Corps.  Furthermore, I find myself at a perfect point in my life to become a Peace Corps volunteer:  ready to embrace change, work hard, and take on a new adventure.

I do not anticipate difficulty in fulfilling any of the 10 Core Expectations.  I have lived in and integrated into another culture before.  I have successfully represented a company both professionally and responsibly for many years.  I have learned to engage and cooperate with people in different and sometimes difficult circumstances.  If I had to pick one expectation on which I would have to work hardest, it would be #4.  While I have no doubt about my ability to adapt and contribute, I have become rather fond of some cultural conveniences such as internet access to keep in touch with family and friends (and a life without very large snakes and spiders).  It is certainly possible there will be internet access and other modern amenities where I am assigned, but it is also certain there will be some differences and hardships that will challenge me.  I intend to take them on as I have always taken on challenges in my life:  with an open mind and a vision of the larger picture.  I am fully prepared to simplify my life and live with and as the people of another culture do.  It is my firm belief that living in a community and becoming a part of it is one of the most rewarding ways to experience another culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment