Welcome!

Welcome to the next adventure in my life. Read on about my journey beyond engineering.







Saturday, February 12, 2011

this is my helicopter

there's an old joke about a man and a flood.  he's told by the police to evacuate, but he says "god will save me."  as the waters reach his doorstep, people come by in a jeep but he refuses, again saying, "god will save me."  as the waters rise even further, a boat comes by, but again the man refuses rescue saying, "god will save me."  so on and so forth until he is standing at the very peak of his roof and cries out, "oh god, why have you forsaken me?"  and god answers, "i sent you the police, a jeep, a boat and a helicopter – what else did you want?"

whether you believe in god in its many incarnations or some sort of higher powers or the mysteries of the universe, i think most people have witnessed some sort of mystery and power at work in their lives.  even just the gift of making someone else's day a little easier brings a deep joy that makes your own day brighter.  who doesn't feel the mixture of a rush and peace after doing something that makes a difference, or something you feel called to do? 

i read something today about an athlete who said seven years ago he was sweeping floors and that you never know how god will work in your life.  it made me think of god or a higher power or the universe working in my life and how there don't seem to be a lot of opportunities for real change or real insight or real contribution as my life goes right now (and for some time).  i've felt stagnant, but more than that, i haven't seen the chance that a real hard-core change could come, even though i've felt ready for… something… for many years now.  i've felt that, short of forcing it to happen by consciously choosing to volunteer somewhere (which of course is never a bad idea) and hoping for inspiration, there wasn't really room for a calling to find me.  and shouldn't a calling be something that is strong enough to find you no matter where you are or what you are doing? 

somehow that thought process led me to thinking of the helicopter joke.  i'm not sure whether the helicopter is one that i went out and deliberately chartered on my own or if it's one that came to me as from a higher accord, but it popped into my mind today that perhaps the peace corps is my helicopter for the next stage of my life.  it is the vehicle that raises me to a different plane, where good can be done and the calling can come to me.  where a higher power can work in my life and make me a better part of the world.  it is the means to a space where the opportunities and space really exist for change.  where, indeed, there is almost nothing but opportunity and space and change and the discovery of calling.

god helps those who help themselves… or god works in mysterious ways… or ask and ye shall receive…  whatever the moral, i'm so glad to have my helicopter to kick-start things for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment